Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

ART & CULTURE
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
A Year for Tlemcen
03:46:11 AM Wednesday May 25, 2011

Some of you are perhaps much more familiar with Tlemcen than I am, as it is a city I have yet to visit. Amongst us in the Maghrebin cultures, we know of Tlemcen for its history, art, architecture, and music. But the rest of the Arab and Muslim world may not have heard of it much (if at all in the case of many), until recently it was designated a Cultural Capital of the Islamic World for 2011 by ISESCO.

At home we watched on TV the inauguration of Tlemcen and the celebration of this title, and you couldn't help but want to go visit and explore for yourself, as you would with other historic cities in the Maghreb. But what struck me personally, having visited other very historic places in Algeria, was the huge difference between on the one hand the official attitude towards taking pride and care of the city, making it clean and beautiful and safe for visitors, and showing off its cultural richesse, and on the other hand, the sad, sometimes outrageous neglect of other cities that have equal importance, cultural and historic value, and touristic potential.

Like I said, I've yet to set foot in Tlemcen personally, and can't wait for the opportunity to do so, but really hope it does not disappoint, that it is up to par, clean and safe not just for visitors from overseas but for everyone, and that other cities (can we start with Algiers, helloo?..) will follow suit in the receipt of attention and care not just artistically and architecturally, but on every level.

If anyone has been there recently, give us the scoop :)

I also was surprised to see Tlemcen mentioned earlier this year in this NY Times list of 41 places to go in 2011.. it made it to spot #16 out of 41.. not bad, especially coming from an American newspaper, when most average Americans (or even some highly "educated" ones, as I discovered yesterday) don't even know where Algeria is, and might randomly ask "Nigeria? How come you're not black??"

aya, fi khaterkoum, enough for today :)

some more photos here

and you can view a list of other designated Islamic Cultural Capitals at ISESCO's website here.

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

7:33 am    May 25, 2011

Kathleen Woolrich message
I went to Tlemcen in 2007 . It was one of the capitals of Algerian Judaism and they still have immaculate cemetaries. It has little marabouts ( little buildings) and spiritual sufi leaders would come from as far as syria to teach there. It also has the mosque sidi boumedienne, immortalised in the Cheb Khaled song Sidi Boumedienne. Inside the mosque, the graves are covered in cloth and if you light a candle, you can make a wish.

Another thing is that this was the site of terrorism, the mosque was firebombed by terrorists during the years of terror. It also has moroccan inlfluences and there is a square tower of Mansour there, very tall and amazing and some parts of Tlemcen look like Morocco. It was one of the highlights of my life. I visited the city and the Sidi Boumedienne mosque in December of 2007. That was where Kate Winslet was headed in the movie hideous kinky. She was sufi..

·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!