Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
728 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

ART & CULTURE
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
Vintage travel posters
09:35:58 PM Tuesday Oct 18, 2005

Made a mad dash for the central library when the rain let up during my lunch break. Was keen to see the vintage travel posters exhibit and check out the collection. Some of the posters were really nice, I loved the ones of Mexico and California. The colors felt so warm and inviting on such a cold gray day, I felt like jumping right into the scene, somehow be magically transported to the places displayed in vibrant tones and rich landscapes. Some of the other posters felt more impressive than welcoming, showing grand old royal halls and monuments towering over their surroundings. A lot of the European ones showed means of travel, not just the destinations. At that time a really fast luxurious strong ship or train was an important way to get around, but airplanes were the new cool kid on the block. That was the hip high tech of travel in that era, still not accessible to the masses..except in the artwork and lore of adventure stories about aviation pioneers!
But I was really, really disappointed not to see any posters of North Africa/Africa, the Caribbean, and Asia. Specifically North Africa, some of the different places featured in these travel posters are still presented and advertised in very much the same way today in the modern tourist industry.. exotic women, distant lands, striking landscapes and climates, the sahara dunes and oases complete with turbaned nomads atop their camel, a midnight-blue sky twinkling with stars, passive traditional natives in local costume, edenic fruits, etc...

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

6:08 pm    October 19, 2005

Rasta Gnawi message
I love the second picture on the second page: Lac D'Annecy. They all that same faded color look. Very nice.
·

10:00 am    October 19, 2005

hudhud message
You can see images of some of the posters in the LAPL gallery online:
http://www.lapl.org/virgal/travel/travel-1.html
I wonder how much an original would cost? It's easy to buy a cheap small reproduction, but the originals must be awfully expensive..
repros:
http://www.allposters.com
Select Vintage art style, vintage ads, vintage travel ads.
·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!