Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
728 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

ART & CULTURE
Rasta Gnawi
boston, ma Massachusetts USA
Share on facebook
comments.
One Love
01:13:39 PM Monday Feb 6, 2006

On a lighter and possibly higher note, today's is Bob Marley's birthday. Not many here would care for him, his music, or what he stood for. But he is considered the godfather of reggae music, and a pillar of rastafarian culture. Having a white father and a black mother, he perhaps exhibited the same inner struggle that drove Malcolm X to demand equality.

Rastafari culture has some racist undertones, a historical linkage that many find questionable (Ethiopia's ras Tafari considered the king and prophet,) and a liberal use to mind-altering herbs. It is considered harmless, however, and Bob Marley's struggle for freedom and equality carries with it several positive and uplifting qualities. Everyone can learn a thing or two from "get up for your right," "so much trouble in the world," and "no, woman, no cry."

Anyway, I thought I'd bring it up. Not sure how popular he is back home, but I know that the first songs I heard were from my cousin Rachid's vinyl collection. He was a mad fan and at some point he had grown an afro that he wanted to dread lock. It would have looked funny if he'd dreadlocked his blond afro in wajda :)

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

4:19 pm    February 7, 2006

hudhud message
"Jah-Ri3a"
i can just here this in song.. too funny man :)
·

2:23 pm    February 7, 2006
One Drop
Actually if Bob would shave his head, he would look pretty much Moroccan ...
Rastafari is an Amhara term, used for the Ethiopean emperor Haile Silaisie, whom they consider as their God (Jah) .
(Ras: Head, Tafari: Creator)
The Rastafarians claim that they are the missing tribe of Israel...David star, the Ethiopean colors and the lion of of Juda are their symbols .

They are anti-system and anti-establishment (which they call babylon), and claim that the laws of men are doomed to failure, and that the only law that should be followed is the one created by God.
In a way, they are fighting for their shari3a... or should I say : Jah-Ri3a ! :)

But, as long as they get their daily dose of tetra-hydrocannabinol, their revolution doesn't go further than the stage upon which the reggae singers are jamming.

·

11:03 am    February 7, 2006
Bahja
When the cat's way, the mice will play...
·

1:49 pm    February 6, 2006

hudhud message
i do like reggae and bob marley was a great singer, but i also feel the need to point out that rastafarian culture has been widely denounced for its oppression and ill treatment of women.

also, one could never put bob marley and malcom X on the same plane. HUGE difference..

·

Rasta Gnawi's notes (63)

Ramadan Mubarak..
Raioo versus Facebook..

Mercy..

eid?..
Ramdan Mabrouk..
rantings on a cloudy day..
Sardines..

drought..
salma salma..
Arabica..
agricultural / energy policy..
Doucement :)..
Mebrouk Remdan..
ghir bessyas a moulay!..
ONB - anyone going to concert or has tickets?..

Darfur..
Friday or Saturday?..
douga douga..
Cartoon Memories..
mudhakkiratou rihlati ljanoub..
From Africa, with love..
great film..
spicy chocolate..
a treat for you..
Nice piece for your weekend activities..
Another attempt at writing. Will this language ever feel nat..

Eid Mebrouk..
satellite..
Mebrouk Ramdan..
mshwi..
old fiction..
MS Mess..
their life... our life... their life.....
Islamic punk rock..
One Love..
free speech..
Resources..
Hammam ruminations..
old paintings..
date deals..

dmv..
book..
casa..
vortex..
name of the rose..
mostafa Akkad..
Eurika..
audioslave..
Paris riots..
Eid Mabrouk..
NYT lamb..
recipe..
badi3..
a pause from madness..
garden..
desert nights..
brain freeze..
organized tours..
passport on vacation..
good attire..
Hot day..

eCommerce..
Econ - Biz - What's The Pulse..

FAVORITES

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!