Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
728 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

ART & CULTURE
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
Morocco In Between
11:26:29 AM Wednesday Sep 6, 2006

Just found out about an upcoming photography exhibit entitled "Liminal Spaces: Photographs of Morocco by Rose-Lynn Fisher". I like the concept of "liminal spaces," this sense of being always in-between, the juxtaposition of old and new, contrasts that fuse together to compose the overall image and identity of an incredibly unique land. I feel this is the perfect discovery for me now, since my interest in photography has taken a different turn. Before, I wanted to document places I'd seen for memory's sake, but never really looked at any one image as a tool to dig into the meanings of a space: what makes it a very specific kind of *place* in someone's eye, what makes it dear to someone's heart. It's not just beauty and familiarity of scenes, people, or objects - it's the special qualities and individual parts of that very subject that fills the frame which combined together make the whole and infuse it with value.

Below are some of the shots I liked best from the artist Rose-Lynn Fisher's online sample gallery. It totally sucks that I can't be in LA in time for her walkthrough but .. *sigh* some other chance perhaps. If any of you reading this post are/will be in LA, be sure to check out the exhibit. It runs from September 17 til January!

(father and son)

(really loved this one - their smiles and conversation)

(this reminds me so strongly of a scene in the Jordanian desert from Ismail Ferroukhi's "Le Grand Voyage" ...)

(the last one is haunting to me... a space at once inhabited and abandoned.. as though the desert outside and the silent camels are all-knowing witnesses to some one's absence perhaps.. the slippers strewn across the floor......)

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

11:23 am    August 20, 2007

hisham bai message
simple life .....complicated... ? it might be a simplicity that hurts the senses...the seeer's eye can nothing but enjoy the multicolored black and white rythm of such a place giving times to the mind for an appropriate perception...life must be very tough with these peoples...simplicity must be the last thing they think about...it has no place in their mind...Dear homecountry, i'm sick at you.
·

10:59 am    September 17, 2006

hudhud message
i look at their eyes, the wrinkles, and i wonder what they think about; what their daily life is like; what they have been through, what makes them worried, happy, sad...
i love these kinds of fotos, those that make me think about these kinds of things..
their life is simpler in ways and more complicated in others...
·

6:02 am    September 13, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
The pictures invoke a complicated conflict of emotions. I find it is always the case with visual art work that illustrates rural life, be it from Morocco or elsewhere. When I see the faces in the images, my mind races to speculate on the kinds of things that concern them. Their field of vision. How wide. Do they worry about more things than I do, or the same amount of different things? Where do they find peace?

There you go... must go now. I just got the call that my conference call starts in 2 minutes. Could I make a good trade for a simpler life?

·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!