Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

ART & CULTURE
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES
01:40:04 PM Thursday Aug 30, 2007

I just came across this really cool site called GNAWA STORIES and it has some really interesting info on Gnawa history and culture. There's also a really cool section where you click on portraits of different gnawis/gnawiyas, and when you click on their picture you can hear them talk about their own gnawa experience. One part really caught my eye - about the Mqadmma, the woman who receives the sick patients and organizes the Lila or Derdeba, etc. It made me think of my mom's story of the woman she encountered as a child, who claimed healing powers and would sing some poetry and call upon different spirits.

Another cool thing about this site is that it has a little glossary and good intro for those who are a little less familiar with the world and words of Gnawa. Check out Gnawa Stories

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

4:19 am    August 31, 2007

Salem message
That Blue and Black are wonderful. I was in Kinshasa when for the first time and so far last time, I feasted my eyes on the colors of Africa: colors of the people, of the clothes, of things! (3arregt8a lwan!) I will never forget that..
·

6:15 pm    August 30, 2007
3abir sabil
Ok folks.I get your point.Maybe I did a sacrilege.I didn't mean to hurt jnoun's gnawa. Waa tasliim ya cyber-mlouk !! :)
·

3:55 pm    August 30, 2007

hudhud message
btw - check out the portrait on the painter on the Gnawa Stories website with pictures of some of his artwork - look at the colors he uses.
·

3:50 pm    August 30, 2007

hudhud message
*gasp*
no purple??! are the olympics.. *gasp* ... discriminating against.. the PURPLE??!
;o))

all joking aside, the colors of the olympic rings cannot be linked to gnawa because they are not SEVEN (lucky seven, seven heavens, notice the symbolic number..)
"The Official Olympic Flag Created by Pierre de Coubertin in 1914, the Olympic flag contains five interconnected rings on a white background. The five rings symbolize the five significant continents and are interconnected to symbolize the friendship to be gained from these international competitions. The rings, from left to right, are blue, yellow, black, green, and red. The colors were chosen because at least one of them appeared on the flag of every country in the world. The Olympic flag was first flown during the 1920 Olympic Games. "

The seven colors in gnawa culture represent 7 mlouk or jnoune, seven spirits that are called upon in hierarchical order.

Here's a bit more info.

·

3:33 pm    August 30, 2007

Rasta Gnawi message
I think so. How can you do a high jump over two meters without touching the bar with your back unless there are a couple of djnoun holding you up as you jump? purple ones don't get invited to the olympics.
·

3:18 pm    August 30, 2007
3abir sabil
A "lila ganawiya" starts at midnight and end at dawn.Seven dances are performed during one lila to comunicate with some devils(mlouk or jnoune).Each dance has its own color to mate the moud of its melk:(white,black,green, red,purple, blue and yellow).

Question:Is there any relationship with the colored- olympic- rings??

·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!