Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

ART & CULTURE
Suzy Cameleon
Meknes Morocco
Share on facebook
comments.
Suzy Cameleon Painter
07:02:22 PM Saturday Nov 3, 2007

I truly want to thank all of you that have responded to my comments. Now I actually feel like I am communicating with real people on the internet. I don't know where you all are located around the globe but I appreciate your reaching back out to me with your thoughts and feelings about Art in Morocco, especially contemporary art.
I myself am a painter and a writer. I usually paint on silk and make fabric that can be worn as a scarf or cut up and sewn into garments and home furnishings. I also love to paint with oil on canvas and I every now and then get a commission to paint an outdoor mural. My designs are colorful and usually uplifting.
As for my writing I have written a book titled "Moroccan Honeymoon- a travel memoir" and it is out with the publishers right now. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
My dream of living in Morocco requires that I figure out a way to make a living there since I am not independently wealthy (at least not yet). Therefore I hope to open up a gallery-salon one day and I really would love to put on workshops for children or even adults showing them various techniques in fabric painting like: tie-dye, batik, gutta serti method and my personal favorite "nassen" a Japanese stencil dyeing method that is at least a thousand years old.
So I require dyes, (French ones are very good) and silk. I also need some ingredients that only come from Japan but that can be ordered and shipped so can the dyes.
I find it fascinating that an artist has to go to so many places to get supplies. I wonder if I opened an art supply store somewhere, if it would be successful. Come to think of it, it would actually be a very good way of getting students too. Nonetheless I am not currently financially able to open a store. I wouldn't mind being a partner to someone since I actually have lots of experience with art supplies. Let me know if anyone is interested in opening a gallery/art supply store in Morocco (preferably somewhere along the coast).
So that's a little bit about me and my aspirations.
Please stay connected and help me contribute my talents to the Moroccan folks. When I am there I feel so at home that I really know that's where I need to be living, not here in New York City where I feel so restricted in so many ways.
Peace to you all. Peace to the world.
Yours truly, Suzy Cameleon

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

5:19 pm    November 10, 2007

Suzy Cameleon message
Dear 3abir sabil - I once went to the silk museum in Yokohama Japan and saw how silk was made. It would take thousands of mulberry trees to feed the silk worms. In Japan they give the worms a kind of dog food looking mash that simulates the ingredients from the mulberry leaves. Also they keep the worms confined and then once they are in the cocoons they check on them by shining a light through the cocoon so they can interupt the cycle before the worm eats his way out of the cocoon and breaks the silk thread. One cocoon makes one continuous silk thread. I would be surprised that the old way of growing the worms and letting them feed "free range" would be happening in Morocco. But if I get to that area I'll look into it because I am definitely all about the silk.
·

9:18 am    November 7, 2007

hudhud message
I'm on the opposite side of the continent Suzy :) But I sure will take you up on that when I'm next in NYC. I love your spirit of sharing and only wish more people had your sense of care and appreciation for the art. My inspriation is a late aunt of mine who recently died of cancer and left behind countless little silk paintings, some are replicas of prehistoric rock art or landscapes she saw during her travels in the Sahara, others are images of traditional Berber jewelry and symbols, still others are arabic calligraphic paintings - short verses from the Quran or simply the name of Mohammed. I love them all and wish I could learn how to do something similar.

You will find a lot of eager students I'm sure. I hope your gallery idea not only works out but grows big. Who knows maybe one day you'll have North Africa's first school of silk painting :)

If you're ever in LA let me know. Tea on me.

·

8:59 pm    November 6, 2007

Suzy Cameleon message
Hello HudHud, Where do you live? If you are ever around New York City I would love to show you how the techniques are done. My belief about art is that is should be shared. Everyone brings something special to the table. Look at oil painters, there are so many different techniques and expressions. It is limitless. Myself, I will not live forever and I must teach everyone who is interested so that the knowledge never dies. Already the technique of Japanese stencil dyeing is falling into oblivion. The Japanese no longer make the mulberry bark stencil paper, they only have synthetic now. It takes so long to do these silks and the young have no patience.
One good note: I have been telling my husband about all y'alls comments about art in Morocco and he assured me that he will help me create a gallery/art supply store in Morocco. I feel that one day it will happen. I have to be patient but nonetheless I will continue to understand what the needs are and where is the best place to have such a gallery/art supply store.
Does anyone have any ideas about the Agadir region. I need to live by the ocean or I will not do well. It's a spiritual thing me and water. Peace to you all.
·

9:31 am    November 6, 2007

hudhud message
I've been wanting to learn silk painting for a while now. I experienced some of that same mystique that 3abir sabil refers to - some people can be rather elitist and exclusive about their art. I think your workshops would be a hit and not just with the younger crowd. good luck!!
·

8:52 pm    November 5, 2007

Suzy Cameleon message
Your story of silk painting being a "big secret" is really funny. I myself am so open about sharing the technique that perhaps my doing workshops would be very welcome. I know when I first started some people were also very secretive about where the dyes came from and how they did what they do, but most of my experiences have been more open with so many showing me how and where. There is a huge company in Massachusetts called Pro Chemical and Dye company. They manufacture the dyes and all the chemicals needed. There prices are great but adding shipping would make them more expensive. I would bring dyes with me. They do not weigh much and a little goes a long way.
I am really looking forward to making an impression in the art world of Morocco. It would please me very much if I could share my knowledge with those interested in the techniques of silk painting. Thanks again for your input. Peace.
·

4:40 pm    November 5, 2007
3abir sabil
I noticed these last years that many maroccan women are practicing silk painting and modelling porcealaine as a hobie.This art is becoming more and more popular.Most products of silk-painting(Dyes,tempera,acrilycs,stencils,small peace of silk,patrons and handbooks about the subject) come from Spain smuggled throughout Sebta and Mlilia(north of Morocco).The prices of these products are just little bit sheaper than those imported(frankly it's not a big deal).Small supplying shops are oppening here and there, but they are often hiden inside narrow streets.Most of their clients are women who mute their adresses like if it is a big secret!! The joke is when a men visit this kind of shop;all the women are surprised.Does silk painting forbiden for men??Amazing!!

In an other hand,at Aïn Taoujtat,a small town between Fèz and Meknès,a project of producing silk was started 15 years ago.This project was managed by CRS(centre de recherche agronomique):mulberry trees were planted,technical materials to raise silk-caterpillar,to extract and to thread silk were imported from China.Did this project knew a success story??I hope so.

·

12:27 pm    November 5, 2007

Suzy Cameleon message
Thanks for your compliments. I can actually do anything for any demographic. When I lived in New Orleans my themes were usually jazz, and brass band related since that is what is so prevalent there. Now I am in NYC and I have found the subway theme makes for good scarves. I have painted camels and I am currently doing a series in oil of "Hands of Fatima". So where ever I am my art reflects the lifestyle. I cannot wait to do a series of works using the images of Morocco. Your thoughts and ideas are helping me to focus on my goal evermore. Thanks so much. I will work on posting my art. I am supposed to get a real website soon. My editor told me that I have to have one before the book gets published. So much to do. Peace.
·

9:21 am    November 5, 2007

Adnane Ben. message
Suzy - when it comes to the fine arts in Morocco, the French expats, and the Moroccans who come from above-average and wealthy circles dominate the scene, albeit a small one. The Americans and the average Moroccans are a minority. I looked up some of your works online and found a particular photo that gave me an idea of your paint work on silk and fabric. You are right, the designs and colors are uplifting! they have that bohemian, tropical, solid line look to it.

I personally believe you will have a lot of fun working in Morocco doing this. For one, there is a solid market for scarfs there. Your works could even make it to the Middle East, and Dubai when you participate in art exibitions and conventions.

You will also notice that eventually, you will realize that you might have to diversify your designs to make them relevant to the Moroccan culture. If I were to guess, I would say that most Moroccans will go for earth, pale or pastel colors. How about flowery designs, or Islamic geormetric designs. How about solid colors? or pseudo-solid with a dash of color somewhere? how about horses? the options are endless.

And, if you're good at what you do, you'll definitely make it to one or more of those women's magazine, or art & culture local magazines, and even TV, for more exposure. Then you can really hit a different level of marketing your stuff.

·

5:36 pm    November 4, 2007

Adnane Ben. message
This guys is pretty good! Mr Alain-Marc. His sketches remind me of DeLacroix's.
·

2:41 pm    November 4, 2007
3abir sabil
If you don't mind,I have an idea for you.Contact Mr Alain-Marc,he would advise and help you.Have a look at his blog: http://www.aquarelle-en-voyage.com/
Mr Alain-Marc is a painter who knows a lot about Morocco.Each year he is used to organize painting-trip from France to Morocco for begginers and advanced.I find his work very intersting.May be you could do the same project.Good luk !!
·

2:12 am    November 4, 2007

Salem message
Sorry, I mean Suzy's previous note on "Artists in Morocco or anywhere else..."
·

1:16 am    November 4, 2007

Salem message

In this URL address, you'll find information about Galeries and their program of activities and a lot more while browsing the website of the Mintistry of Culture:

http://www.minculture.gov.ma/fr/Galeries.htm

... and here is a virtual galerie where you can enjoy a lots of art

www.art-maroc.co.ma

An occasion for you to revive your french.

Suzy, Please continue puting up your comments on this note to save the integrity of all comments about the topic in one single location and so let to participants know about all what has been said on the topic so far. Thanks

·

Suzy Cameleon's notes (6)

Moroccan film fest in NYC..

My new website..

No Junk in our Trunk show..
Good Hotels in Tanger..
Suzy Cameleon Painter..
Artists in Morocco or anywhere else..

FAVORITES

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!