I remember I signed up for one of these a while ago. But at any rate, for the interest of stirring dialogue about this on raioo instead of keeping as a mere announcement, let's consider a raioo focus group. I'm opening the floor with 10 questions (many more are buried within) that I consider productive, respectful and accurate, maybe others will jump in for designing the questions this project could consider:
1. How important is spirituality in your life in the US?
2. How does your spirituality-practice-o-meter, or feeling of being spiritual changes in the US in different situations:
- at home?
- in your neighborhood?
- in stores?
- at school?
- at work?
- at the mosque?
- when you're alone?
- when you're among your familly?
- when you're with your familly in public?
3. Are you afraid or ashamed sometimes of exposing your belonging to a spiritual belief? if yes, what do you feel is the cause of that fear or shame: is it current events in the middle east, 911, the word association terrorist/muslim?
4. How important is it for you to show others that you're spiritual, or that you're specifically Muslim?
5. Do you feel the social culture in your American neighborhood challenges your spirituality? in either case, how?
6. Do your feel the economic system in your American neighborhood and the US challenges your spirituality? in either case, how?
7. Do you feel you have a purpose or an obligation to "spread the word" as people say of your spiritual Muslim beliefs? if yes, what are your expectations?
8. Do you feel more comfortable among people of similar spirituality as you? in the mosque? outside the mosque?
9. Do you feel others do not care about your spirituality? does that impression offend you? do you care about validating that impression? how would you feel if someone validates that impression, that they do not care about your spirituality?
10. Have you ever thought of moving to a different country, other than the US, where Islam is the official religion?