Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

COMMUNITY
www.drissimages.com
Boston Massachusetts USA
Share on facebook
comments.
Moroccan's Identity
11:09:57 PM Sunday Apr 27, 2008

This article is from:www.wafin.com

Moroccans' identity

By Obaid

Karim is a Moroccan in the U.S. who runs his own business. He always complains about the 10 years of hard work he had to go through before starting his business. "Why couldn't five Moroccans"-asks Karim-"work only two years each to start together this business and enjoy an easy 8 years of leverage?"

I would like wafiners to answer his question, but let me make my point. We wouldn't be surprised to know the story of Samaha (Palestinian). He came to this country and found himself surrounded by Palestinians (not family!!) some are from the same tribe. They helped him build his credit, train him in the business of clothing and then helped him have his own clothing business. In 3 years, not only was Samaha financially independent, he was ready and eager to help the next new comer.

One would argue that these are special cases. Yes they are. One couldn't argue however with strong conviction that some communities are known to be running such or such kind of businesses (it marks their identity). I asked myself do we-Moroccans- have an identity in that sense?

I am well aware of one fact though, the Moroccan community in the U.S. is relatively new and most likely the base of longtime residents in the U.S. is still struggling, so they can't help.

Cant’ we start shaping our identity?. Here is what I suggest to start with. Similar to window that wafin is showing in its home page, why can't we have the same with the title: where successful Moroccans can share WHAT OTHER MOROCCANS could be doing in other places. And remember, it doesn't take high degrees always to achieve high.

Dear wafiners, the stories I cited are from the sea of my imagination but I believe their implications can affect real lives.

I am open to any constructive comment (including the one that says that no identity should be our identity :))

Obaid.

God bless you all.

Thank you wafin.

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

2:56 pm    May 5, 2008

Adnane Ben. message
"Why couldn't five Moroccans"-asks Karim-"work only two years each to start together this business and enjoy an easy 8 years of leverage?""

~ He's making assumptions that Moroccans don't do this. Maybe he's being subjective and writing from his own experience. I think there are Moroccans out there who put hands together to start businesses. But all in all, he promotes a good cooperation attitude that Moroccans should have whenever it makes sense. At the end, it's a case by case basis.

"One would argue that these are special cases. Yes they are. One couldn't argue however with strong conviction that some communities are known to be running such or such kind of businesses (it marks their identity). I asked myself do we-Moroccans- have an identity in that sense?"

~ It's true that Moroccans in the US haven't yet developed a business mark if you would. And I assume you're talking for example about how Iranians run carpet businesses, Irakis run gas stations, Greek run fast food and pizza places. I think Moroccans are still new in this country and it would take them some time before they establish their identity on many levels: civic, cultural, spiritual, educational and business. Give it time. Right now, Moroccans are busy working existing jobs, managing dunkin'donut stores, gas stations, cab drivers, and once in a blue moon run a Moroccan artisanat store. One thing for sure, this business identity mark you're referring comes easy when the original country of the immigrant community already has an established identity. Iran for carpets and PhDs, Irak for oil, Greek and Italy for food. Maybe one of the factors that are slowing the Moroccan immigrants identity is the lack of world-reknowned products, standards and quality from Morocco itself. Maybe, some Moroccans should focus on the fish industry ~ open up fish retail stores or even concentrate in coastal areas and start owning fishing boats, although the Portuguese own this identity now in east coast New Bedford. Maybe first and second generation Moroccans could tap into the interior design and architecture market and use their Moroccan heritage to infuse American culture with elements of Morocco.

My point is these things need time, and good luck for all.

·

www.drissimages.com's notes (30)

The people of Gaza need you: A Fundraiser for the 4th viva p..

Yassir Chadly and Omar Sosa- Moroccan- CubanJazz Rehearsal..
N.A.F.I.S : Apex mosque grand opening..
Boston Marathon made in Africa..
3id Al mawlid Anabawi..
Allahoma Nasse Aloka Arrahmata wal Maghfira..
Muslim High School Sr. Breaks Basketball State Record:2,710 ..
Arabesque: Arts of the Arab World February 23-March 15, 2009..
Andalusian Music Festival in Boston:Feb 20th..
UK Jewish MP: Israel acting like Nazis in Gaza..

Moroccan raising flag in Jersey City NJ..
Eid in USA..
Muslims in Boston Globe..
Mas Media Fundation..
Shaytan 1: DON'T WEAR HIJAB, YOU WILL LOOK UGLY..
Shaytan 2: WHY GO TO WORK IF YOU CAN LIE AND STAY HOME?..
33rd ICNA-MAS Convention..
Festival International:Nuits d'Afrique a Montreal..
Morocco:Poor participation in Immigrant's Parade in NY City..
MasYouth presents: Outlandish in Voices for Change..
Moroccan Pop Singer Senhaji turns a Sour Performance in Wash..
Raja vs Real Madrid..
Moroccan's Identity..
Moroccan Best KO history K1 WGP 2005 Leko vs Hari..
2008 Muslim Film Festival..
Interfaith Concert to Benefit:RESPOND..
Remembrance of Prophet Mohamed(BUH)..
Interfaith Dialogue..
Terrorist Thugs, Muslim, New York Subway - Muslim Saves Jews..
Saida Fikri a Boston..

FAVORITES

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!