Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
728 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

FOOD
Rasta Gnawi
boston, ma Massachusetts USA
Share on facebook
comments.
recipe
11:13:47 AM Monday Oct 10, 2005

On a lighter subject, anyone has any good recipes for khringo? Some in Morocco might call it beghrir. I've been craving that stuff for ages now.

Also, we have this thing in figuig we call mih mih. Anyone has a good recipe for it. I guess the trick there is knowing how to make treed, which I can tell by observation that it is very hard to make.

Oh, and lastly. There was this eggplant salad they made backhome that was to die for (figuratively speaking.) They called it za3louk or something like that. If anyone has a good recipe for it, I would be very grateful.

I am proud to say that we have mastered the art of harira making in my household. The other day, Joc pulled the whole thing together in less than 1 hour. Of course, my mother claimed yesterday she can make it in 10-15 minutes. We've got some records to break.

Adnane, what happened to moroccan recipes section in raioo, I could not find it?

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

7:50 am    August 13, 2007
Hajar Ayaou
Yes I do and thanks in advance!
·

1:53 am    August 13, 2007

Rasta Gnawi message
do you have access to the ingredients, mainly smida and tmer m3ejoun? I have an old recipe that I can post
·

11:21 am    August 12, 2007
Hajar Ayaou
I lived in Oujda for a while and fell in love with the maqurote there! It is harder to find where I am now though and at my wedding my sister (in law) made the fried triangles with date paste. I have to make some of what I had in Oujda soon!

Beslama,

Hajar

·

2:41 pm    October 30, 2005
lil_Moroccan_Cook
Salam Everybody,
I finally tried to make beghrir from scratch.
I made it a point to write down all the ingredients so I can tweak it if needed. The good new is I think it came out PERFECT!!
So here it is:

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup warm water
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup semolina
2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder

PREPARATION:
1/ Combine water, active dry yeast and sugar, let sit for 5min.
2/ In a blender. Add all other ingredients and blend until well mixed. let sit for 30min.
3/ Pour 1/3 to 1/4 cup batter into a 5" nonstick skillet, remove when batter is no longer shiny.
4/ In a microwave safe bowl, melt 1 part butter with 2 parts honey.
5/ Pour the honey mixture on top of the beghrir
6/ ENJOY!!!

·

9:54 am    October 18, 2005

hudhud message
rfiss tounsi as i discoverd is made slightly differently than maqrout (i was wondering about the texture of the dough).. essmide lazem yet7emmes tres bien comme pour la ttamina. brown the semolina in a hot dry skillet before making the dough. also, the one i tasted was stuffed with dates paste, but apparently rfiss tounsi can also be stuffed with other dried fruits, kind of like elmerrakchiates which can also be stuffed either with pate d'amande, dates, dried apricots, etc.
·

2:32 pm    October 17, 2005

hudhud message
dude you read my mind! am planning to make some maqrout bettmar this weekend inchallah. it's common in both morocco and algeria but i donno if tunisians have it.. probably do. the semolina-based pastry dough is fairly easy to make, flavored with ma zhar. in eastern dz they make maqrout bettmar and age it for weeks if not months, then serve it drenched in honey. they have another recipe which resembles maqrout bettmar: it's like these little pastry triangles with a thin layer of dates paste sandwiched in between, but they fry it, and serve warm. i think it's called 7erraycha if i remember well.
in algiers i encountered 2 kinds of maqrout: bellouz, ou bettmar. maqrout ellouz is another ballgame though..
so that's sa3louk! in my family we call it ratatouille.
·

2:32 pm    October 17, 2005

hudhud message
dude you read my mind! am planning to make some maqrout bettmar this weekend inchallah. it's common in both morocco and algeria but i donno if tunisians have it.. probably do. the semolina-based pastry dough is fairly easy to make, flavored with ma zhar. in eastern dz they make maqrout bettmar and age it for weeks if not months, then serve it drenched in honey. they have another recipe which resembles maqrout bettmar: it's like these little pastry triangles with a thin layer of dates paste sandwiched in between, but they fry it, and serve warm. i think it's called 7erraycha if i remember well.
in algiers i encountered 2 kinds of maqrout: bellouz, ou bettmar. maqrout ellouz is another ballgame though..
so that's sa3louk! in my family we call it ratatouille.
·

11:59 am    October 17, 2005

Rasta Gnawi message
ze3look recipee right here:
http://www.raioo.com/cousine

I have never heard of rifis tounsi, but found this on google: http://www.axil7359.com/Gateaux/Rfiss-tounsi/Rfiss-tounsi.html

is it based on dates? in oujda we have this thing called Meqrout. I love it. Dates paste wrapped in semolina.

Keep the recipes coming :)

·

11:09 am    October 17, 2005

hudhud message
yeah beghrir in dz is strictly sweet, just with tons and tons of warmed honey all over..

but now ze3louk, this I've never heard of before! any other names? how to make it? do tell!
am planning a sweet weekend, gonna make a lot of stuff inchallah for l3achr lawakher and then eid.. coming so soon my god!

khoubz eddar is SO easy to make and really a lot healthier than the store-bought stuff, especially the recipes my mom and grandma taught us, using semolina and zit zitoune, semsem, habat lbarakah, la3ssel, habat l7lawa, etc. all the best ingredients. i should post a recipe for a basic version, can variate any way you like..

i want a recipe for rfiss tounsi! anybody know it?

·

10:52 am    October 17, 2005

Rasta Gnawi message
Does anyone have the recipee for mih mih? We've been trying to make it, but the treed requires lots of technique. I thought you had sometime ago in the section http://www.raioo.com/cousine but I couldn't find it now.

I hope someone out there has a good recipe.

I'm glad to report we made ze3louk last night. Delish.

Now if only we can learn how to make bread, our trips to the grocery store would diminish by 85%

·

10:48 am    October 17, 2005

Rasta Gnawi message
beghrir in oujda is similar to what you describe. Pancakes with lots of holes in them. In fact, in Oujda it has two names: khringo and mkherreg. My guess is that the name comes from the verb kherreg, which is to make wholes in something. We eat it with honey and olive oil as well. Although my favorite is when my mother puts that onion spread she use for khubz el bessla. It's thinly diced onion mixed with olive oil, paprika, cumin and salt; I add jalapenos just for kicks; bam!

·

10:00 am    October 17, 2005

hudhud message
what's beghrir like in oujda? in skikda and constantine their "beghrir" is basically those large spongy pancakes served with honey at breakfast. soooo good! wonder if that's the same as yours? isn't it funny how in north african countries we use same names for different types of recipes, but origins may be someplace else. found out this weekend dzayri bourek and qtaif are both turkish, interestingly the same name used for the same exact recipes!
·

4:05 am    October 11, 2005

Adnane Ben. message
I think the Moroccan recipe section is here, I'll fix it when I have some time.. http://www.raioo.com/cousine
·

Rasta Gnawi's notes (63)

Ramadan Mubarak..
Raioo versus Facebook..

Mercy..

eid?..
Ramdan Mabrouk..
rantings on a cloudy day..
Sardines..

drought..
salma salma..
Arabica..
agricultural / energy policy..
Doucement :)..
Mebrouk Remdan..
ghir bessyas a moulay!..
ONB - anyone going to concert or has tickets?..

Darfur..
Friday or Saturday?..
douga douga..
Cartoon Memories..
mudhakkiratou rihlati ljanoub..
From Africa, with love..
great film..
spicy chocolate..
a treat for you..
Nice piece for your weekend activities..
Another attempt at writing. Will this language ever feel nat..

Eid Mebrouk..
satellite..
Mebrouk Ramdan..
mshwi..
old fiction..
MS Mess..
their life... our life... their life.....
Islamic punk rock..
One Love..
free speech..
Resources..
Hammam ruminations..
old paintings..
date deals..

dmv..
book..
casa..
vortex..
name of the rose..
mostafa Akkad..
Eurika..
audioslave..
Paris riots..
Eid Mabrouk..
NYT lamb..
recipe..
badi3..
a pause from madness..
garden..
desert nights..
brain freeze..
organized tours..
passport on vacation..
good attire..
Hot day..

eCommerce..
Econ - Biz - What's The Pulse..

FAVORITES

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!