Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
728 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

FOOD
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
Tagines
11:17:59 PM Sunday Oct 8, 2006

I'm on the hunt for a nice Eid gift for my boss. She loves Moroccan food and cooks fairly well, so I thought I'd buy her a lovely little tagine.. I didn't have time to shop for one during my trip, and god knows that was probably for the best since I don't know how to pack my valisas well and it likely would've broken. So here I am trying to hold my eyelids open with toothpicks and shopping online for a nice tagine..

Ok, now, I really loved these from tagines.com, but is it just me or are these kind of - ahem - pricey? about $40-50 smackeroos for a little tagine? And I guess this doesn't yet include shipping and tax and all the nice trimmings. I should've bought one from my aunt's collection. I could've gotten some really nice ones for 10-15 bucks. Somebody slap me..
Or - to be more practical -how 'bout some suggestions? or - if you're in the continental usa and know how to pack things properly - do you have a nice brand new tagine in that price range that you'd be willing to pawn off to me? I'll pray to the great One to make all your dreams come true ;)

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

2:13 pm    August 8, 2009

karim karim message
* IMPORTANT * à lire: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/advisories-avis/aw-am/moroccantagines-fra.php
·

4:28 am    August 8, 2007

Banota message
Personally, I think the most traditional and authentic tangines are the best. They're the plain honey brown coloured one. Their large and are glazed. My mum cooks in them some times and they don't break. 50 years ago you didn't see patterned tangines right? or is someone going to prove my wrong? Call me boring but I prefere the plain ones, not saying the above arn't pretty becasue they are.
·

2:53 am    August 8, 2007
Salem
I wonder wether there is any chinees ustansil made of clay and used a similay way as the tagine is used in Morocco and elswhere. I mean for cooking. It would be interesting to know how they deal with the issue.

Two days ago, I watche a video directed mainly to the US customers on the presumely presence of significant amounts of lead in the paint on toys "made in China". The video was litterally telling the US customers : "through your childrens' toys away, don't by them anymore: they're dangerous for your childres health". This could be part of a commercial war. I think that 80% of toys sold in the US are "made in China". This is an issue that industry (chineese) could deal with anyway. It would be interesting to know how china deal with the issue of lead in clay. I think that Italy is another giant in clay items for kitchen. It would be interesting to know how all these advanced nations deal with the issue. That would maybe save the tagine made of clay.

·

2:29 am    August 8, 2007

Rasta Gnawi message
the problem with the "true" ones is that they break very quickly. Heat doesn't treat them well. There are also so many minerals in clay (some not si healthy) that it would be a good idea to seal the tagines somehow. I'm sure there is a lead a free finish, the kind being used in china plates and cups.
·

8:07 pm    August 7, 2007
Salem
The glazed ones? They're ugly. I would never cook in them, never use them, not even for a display.

The "true" ones. I love them, I do not hasitate to use them for all possible purposes. If some day a dead penalty falls on them, I think I would vote for tagines made of "teflon" .

NB.: I don't mean to make advertisement for any lucky company. "Masaiibu Kawmin 3inda Kawmin Fawaiidu"

·

4:18 pm    August 7, 2007

hudhud message
tefal tagines?? i think they call the material "teflon" in english. they carry these in target?? gotta look for them.
so - but what does this mean if the glazed ones do have lead- that we should not cook in them, or not use at all??
·

2:33 pm    August 6, 2007
Salem
I'm very suspicious over the glazed tagines. I don't trust them. The chemical product they use to make the tagines shine comprises probably harmful elements (lead). But I dont think that the true ones (not glazed) are harmful. I do not hasitate to ask for a hot tagine when I'm passing by Urika or somewhere else south to Essaouira. The suspicion around tagines made of clay, presumely containing a dangerous amount of lead has increasingly pushed people to use tagines made of non denied metals such as Aluminium or some kind of steel, already available in the marked. The Tagine will never desappear, if clay is a problem, tagines will be made of other stuff. So don't worry Hudhud.
·

5:03 pm    August 3, 2007

Rasta Gnawi message
I heard something about this lead finish as well. I was thinking I'd get one of the tagines tested and see if it really does have lead. The ones they sell in Oujda are not glazed. But I see the glazed ones everywhere; I guess they're trying to attract tourists and zmagria. It's possible the old ones had lead finish as well. It wasn't too long ago that even in the US lead paint and finish were used everywhere.

William sonoma has a few and even BJ and Target now feature these neat tagines made out of teflar or whatever that non-stick material is called.

·

2:45 pm    August 3, 2007

hudhud message
hmm.. my grams used the old fashioned ones. and she's still around. matter o'fact been pushin 98 for a few years now (her real age is still a mystery lol =) so we just keep it at 98 for now.
so i guess unh, maybe it's ok to eat out of lead-full tagines? =) $20 vs. $90?? ;o) j/k!!!!
·

8:51 pm    July 25, 2007
AJ
I am a customer of tagines.com. They basically justify their prices with the fact that their tagines are made to meet FDA requirements fro lead content. There aren't any tagines sold in Morocco that are lead free. The lead free glazing is specially imported from Europe for tagines.com tagines.
·

11:22 am    October 24, 2006

hudhud message
d'accord, ssahite ya khou. Sahha eidkoum en tous cas, koul 3am ou ntouma bkheir ou rabbi yeqbel menna kamline :)
·

8:23 am    October 24, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
Hudhud. It turns out the decoration type tagines were not recommended in Canada bacause the finish contained lead. I'm on the hunt for the old ones that we used to cook with. my mother recommends not actually cooking in the tagine. She says she had always used regular cookware but would serve in the tagine as it keeps the food warm.

3id mebrouk

·

11:02 am    October 16, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
hudhud,
I didn't get your email. Could you resend?
·

2:25 pm    October 10, 2006

hudhud message
wait a minute are you asking me to think at this time of day? i can't function on an empty brain.. ;o)) i just shot you a line. yallah sahha ftourkoum :)
·

11:58 pm    October 10, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
ok. I don't want to write my email address here, but it's quite simple: amine on this domain. I'm sure you can figure it out. Send me an email to confirm you've got it.
·

8:48 pm    October 10, 2006

hudhud message
that would be great, thanks bro! I don't think Adnane has it, so I'll wait to hear from you and just give it to you directly. allah yjazik bilkhayr.
·

8:22 pm    October 10, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
ok. I don't imagine tagines cost that much in Morocco. What I'm thinking of are the orange tagines, sometimes they have small designs on them. But you're right, you cook the meal and serve it on the tagine as is.

I'll let you know cost, pics, etc. once I'm there. Adnane can give you my address or give me yours if he has it.

·

10:14 pm    October 9, 2006

hudhud message
allah yjazik bilkhayr, that would be fantastic.. I guess you'll be looking for something that's both for cooking and serving? 10" is good, but anything over $40-50 is not going to make my list.. and i'll have to pay you for shipping and handling too :) can you send me a pm if you're sure you can bring one so we can figure out logistics and such? thank you!!
·

1:39 pm    October 9, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
I'm headed to Morocco in a week. I was planning on getting a tagine for our house here. I'll just grab 2 if I find something nice. I presume you're looking for at least 10 inch diameter tagines.
·

12:33 pm    October 9, 2006

hudhud message
thanks brothers. i've found a lot more now, prices ranging from $30 to a lovely one hundred and ninety-nine dollars and ninety cents. hmm.. i was originally just looking for a pretty serving tagine but now you guys have convinced me. i might as well get something sturdy that she can cook in too..
crate and barrel online only had one tagine for about 90 bucks. found some more on shopzilla and apparently the french ones seem most durable, but they are also the most expensive and - so awfully plain! after all, this is a gift I'm hunting for so I want it to look nice too..
any shops you all know of in ny and boston? there must be tons more options on the east coast. shoukran shoukran..
·

8:41 am    October 9, 2006

Adnane Ben. message
I second that.
ebay has some tagines too, check this white one from portugal it'll end soon,
·

8:16 am    October 9, 2006

Rasta Gnawi message
If you want her to use as a decor then I'd say these would work. If she's going to use it, then Crate and Barrel has a good selection of well built tagines for $45. There at least you'll be paying for good cookware material and something that is functional. You don't want to use these decoration tagines and have them break down after one use.
·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!