Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

MUSIC
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
FLAMENCO
12:21:54 PM Friday Dec 16, 2005

I love flamenco. When I hear it it makes my blood flow, my heart beat, my whole spirit comes to life.. powerful, bold, expectant, breathless, fiery beauty. Legacy of Al-Andalus, a shout-out to the rich heritage of our past, a pulsing echo from an unimaginable world that still teases, calls, beckons, attracts, then disappears into the mists of time...
I have run into this guy several times, small talk, hi how are you, etc. I had *no* clue that he's from Seville and that he is a professional flamenco guitarist. Ishbelia has perhaps the richest legacy of authentic andalucian music that I know of in modern-day Spain. If you're reading this now, and you are/will be in the LA area, swing by the award-winning Fountain Theatre and enjoy the flamenco performances!
Want more? Check out Flamenco World!

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

7:14 pm    January 15, 2007
lafleure
I've had a chance to watcha a flamenco show in NYC at city center in 2004 it was a once in a lifetime experience. I attended the show of Sara Baras, she's an outstanding performer, energetic and a real artist. She presented the show with other members of her band, the music, the singing and the artistic dance lifted me up to the clouds and to an imaginary world where only me and flaminco existed. I really advise anyone who has a real taste for good art to attend and enjoy some of these shows. I've always been a flamenco music lover since my childhoo. I remember that TVM used to air a lot of flamenco shows in early 80s but they stopped them later
·

9:49 am    August 23, 2006
fares
I also like flamenco. the beginnin was 2 years ago when i was in bar?a. it s a mixture of latin hindou arab berber ... or i dont know... But Maaaaagic
·

10:44 am    August 21, 2006

hudhud message
hey Fouad thanks again for the Qawwali Flamenco mention, I totally love it! Need to burn my friend's nusrat fateh ali khan collection too, don't have any of my own of his works. need to learn more about qawwali..

here's a good one for today: FRAGUA FUTURA. one thing that I really loved about it from the first time I saw it is the b&w cover photo of the little boy walking down the street carrying his huge guitar!! ooh - love at first sight lol!! such a great pic. and of course the songs are fantastic. was even more delighted when I recognized Estrella Morente's voice in one of the songs, wonderful surprise. check it out folks, you won't be disappointed.

·

9:22 am    August 21, 2006
Dalal
salam,
yes...the origin is definitely indian, the gypsies being at first indians in exil. However nobody can deny the arab influence on Flamenco. But if you like the dance, check out a North-Indian dance called Kathak, it is so close to flamenco but "unfortunately", with time, it has been more codified and less free...too bad.
·

2:44 pm    May 21, 2006

hudhud message
salam fouad, merci bcp will definitely look for it!
·

3:22 am    May 21, 2006
fouad
SalamO 3alaykom,

I totally share what you feel when listening to flamenco and after reading you I have to recommend you a fantastic musical work done in the form of an encounter between flamenco music and qawwali music (sufi pakistanese music mostly amda7 nabawia made known in the west by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan). It's an amazing encounter establishing a magnificent artistic dialogue. It was recorded during the 2005 Fes festival of sacred musics. It comes as a 2 CDs + DVD box set richly illustrated and the box cover picture is simply awsome. The work is called "Qawwali Flamenco" by Faiz Ali Faiz and Duquende, Miguel Poveda, Chicuelo. Hope you'll enjoy.

·

11:30 am    December 18, 2005
Tasnime
Just last week, Chada Al Alhane featured the Flamenco. Majda had a historian as a guest and he said that, indeed, flamenco was brought to Iberia by the gypsies who originated from India.
BTW, Chada Al Alhane is a great weekly program on 2M tv on Sundays. Majda, an accomplished Melhoune singer, invites every week a troop speicialized in either: gharnati, andalusian, melhoune... Frequently, she invites troops from abroad to present their variations on the arts mentioned above. Also, she always has a historian to speak about the specific art in subject.
http://www.2m.tv/magazine/article.asp?id=12680
·

9:31 pm    December 16, 2005

hudhud message
he told me that it originated with a fusion of cultures from the very start: gypsy, moorish, jewish, and .. indian! i had heard some nuevo flamenco that had a sitar or possibly a sorud, a musical instrument from india and i was surprised at first to hear that influence in there, thought it was a modern twist on traditional flamenco.
at some point when we were talking about al-andalus, etc, he mentioned that he's looking to re-decorate his house entirely in moroccan style, that he's fascinated by north africa and then said "after all that's where we all came from"..
elmouhim.. can't wait til cafe Sevilla opens soon.. ole!
·

6:52 pm    December 16, 2005

Adnane Ben. message
The origin of the word Flamenco is from Arabic. It developped from: Ana Flla7 Mencom. It was the music developped by the farmers as an expression of community and belonging. An analogy would be the Blues or soul music developed by the farmers and "slaves" in America down south.
·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!