Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

OPEN TALK
Salem
Rabat Morocco
Share on facebook
comments.
El Sombrero y el Tazar
03:34:23 AM Friday Aug 31, 2007

These three pictures are related to the discussion about the note on "the Wonderful World of Weaving" (WWW).

A Tazar (Dezzara)

... and this is not Peru, not Brazil, not... it's Morocco.

The open space vegetable market

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

3:16 pm    October 13, 2007

Salem message
You're Welcome! Mehdi. I'm glad you liked them.
·

9:13 am    October 13, 2007
Mehdi
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing...
·

8:05 am    October 13, 2007

Salem message
Sorry, I just did a minor change in this note. I didn't expect it would be put up as if a new one.

I take the opportunity to wish 3eid Mubarak Sa3eed to all of you. It't today in here, Saturday.

Next is L3eid Lakbir...

·

7:21 pm    September 14, 2007

Salem message
Carmen!... No puedes ablar de pasion si no lo has probado. Yo lo sé y Carmen lo sabe tambien...

I know the song. It's beautiful. The colors are Black, White and Red. Thanks.

·

7:02 pm    September 14, 2007
3abir sabil
Complément:
Au Maroc,il y a des familles qui portent le nom d'Albiyaz et d'Albaz et qui se disent originaires d'Andalousie.Dans le dictionnaire des "Noms de famille du Maroc" (de Mouna Hachim) on lit ceci:
"..Selon les versions,de l'arabe El-Bâz;le faucon ou de la localité d'Elvas dans le district d'Alentejo au Portugal".

PS:Remarque qu'un faucon,par un seul trait de vol, peut faire le voyage de Granada en Espagne jusqu'au portrugal,à moins qu'il ne soit désorienté et se retrouve au Maroc. :)

·

6:04 pm    September 14, 2007
3abir sabil
Je te remercie infinement,parceque j'ai toujours cru qu'Albaicin voulait dire "les misérables", car une fois sur place et en comparant les constructions du palais d'Alhambra avec celles d'Albaicin,on ne pouvait que croire à cette traduction hative!!
Effectivement,Albaicin(tiré d'Albaz) se traduit par "quartier des fauconniers".Cependant il y a une autre version aussi plausible:
..."Au XIIIème siècle,après la conquête par les chrétiens de la ville maure de Baeza dans le nord de l'Andalousie,les habitants fuirent vers le sud et s'insttallèrent en dehors des murailles de la forteresse.Ils ont donné à ce nouveau faubourg le nom de leur ville d'origine,albayyazzin:"lieu des gens de Baeza".
http://www.vivagranada.com/fr/albaicin/sannicolas.htm

En guise de remerciements, écoutes ce morceau:
http://www.carmen.com

·

7:53 am    September 14, 2007

Salem message
EUREKA!!!

Le mot Albaicin provient de l'arabe dialectal al-bayyâzîn : les fauconniers, dérivé du persan Al-bâz :le faucon. Son orthographe est diverse selon les transciptions de l'arabe, avec ou sans accent sur le i, avec ou sans y, avec ou sans z : Albayzín, Albaicin.

·

4:43 am    September 14, 2007

Salem message
Interesting is the beautiful "Carmen" story. Maria del Carmen is a very popular name in Spain. I always thought it is the equivalent name of Aicha in our home country. This is maybe why Hudhud thouth that Albaicine is a garden. Any answer to Hudhud's question about the meaning and origine of the word Albaicine ?
·

11:01 am    September 13, 2007
3abir sabil
Albaïcine is knowen by its narow paved-streets,"los jitanos" as dwellers and the "carmen".Carmen is synonymous of "riad" in Morocco.It's a large house with garden inside.The word "carmen" comes from "carmah" which means "vine".No Salem it's not the Karma(fig- tree) of your sombrero :).
When you enter a carmen,you have to folow a long path bordred by vines on each side (in ordre to form a tunnel sheltred by vine-leaves).If you go to Granada,it's worth to visit a carmen at Albaïcine(some are open for tourists)
Hasta luego amigos y
Ramadan.com mabrouk3li.com ,koullou.com ,kabirou.com wa saghirou.com,9aribou.com wa ba3idou.com lol
·

8:09 pm    September 12, 2007

hudhud message
I've always wondered if "albaicin" comes from the arabic word ÇáÈÇÁÓíä from the word ÈÄÓ which I guess would then mean les miserables?? I wonder why a garden would be named that...

my favorite.. estrella morente.

·

5:27 pm    September 12, 2007

Salem message
I can't refrain from posting this amazing footwork: "El Albeicin" of Sara Baras who dances to the elements of fire and moon in this flamenco piece based on a composition by Spanish composer Isaac Albéniz... .

"El Albeicin" is th famous old neighbourhood you can see from above the walls of the high "9asr Al7amraa" of Banou Al A7mar in Grenade. I visited the Alambra Palace but I missed to visit El Albeicin (just lack of time!) and so missed to get closer to the souls of those ancient glorious arobo-moslems who once lived there in all kinds of prosperity.

I will try later on to learn how to make those links to pictures, videos and websites by just clicking on a blue word or expression, avoiding so to overload with pictures the space reserved to written comments. Adnane! HEEEEEELP!!!

·

6:06 pm    September 8, 2007

Salem message
Browse this site. It looks very much youth oriented, but I think it's worth visiting.

http://www.3afrit.net/

·

6:24 pm    September 2, 2007

Salem message
3abirSabil,

MDD(LOL) = l'Moot DeDa7k... Bedmoo3!!! Walaynni Rak Wa7ed NNemra! Thank you so much.

·

6:02 pm    September 2, 2007
3abir sabil
Salem:There are two kind of fig-tree:female and male.As you know,male fig-tree don't produce fruits.It's logical that guys'hats are different from of those of women.Al Karmous or al bakour are different from al kartout,isn't it ?? :))
·

12:05 am    September 2, 2007

Salem message
The babies riding on their moms' backs look so quiet...
·

11:37 pm    August 31, 2007

Salem message
The guys' hats are different.
·

11:34 pm    August 31, 2007

Salem message
LOL:))
·

5:15 pm    August 31, 2007
3abir sabil
Look at the sombrero jabli's decorations(les pompons),does not look like fruit fig(al karmous)?? What do you think?? :))
·

3:50 pm    August 31, 2007

Salem message
The fig-tree shadow is really nice when it's too hot and dry. The cypress shadow is good as well and the eucalyptus is nice too.

There is something special with the "Karma" shadow (fig-tree); it seems that it doesn't only provide shadow, I think it's furthermore a cooler, a refrigerator, somehow, and it smells good while enjoying a nice breeze in its shadow...

While in Tetuan, I enjoyed the fruit sold by these women in small baskets made of bamboo. Hummm....

·

3:06 pm    August 31, 2007

Salem message
I made the calculations two years ago when I decided to walk an average distance of 10 Km on a daily basis. I found out that I will walk a distance equivalent to the length of Earth\'s equator (40,075 km or 24,901.5 miles) in six years that is by the end of 2011. I would have visited Lima in Peru 8 months ago, the distance between Rabat and Lima being about 8498 Km! Amazing!
·

12:34 pm    August 31, 2007

hudhud message
ooh new picture! i like that last one a lot. nobody beats those hats. I bet the peruvians are jealous :)

nah Salem I'm just a picture freak. and I like digging up random facts especially if they're useless. did you know that the average person in their lifetime will walk enough distance to go around the equator 5 times? so if the average person lives 80 yrs and you're 40 yrs old, you've already walked the equivalent of 2.5 times around the equator.

·

11:17 am    August 31, 2007

Salem message
Hudhud, didn't I tell you that you're an infinite resource? Thank you so much for the photos from different location in South America, rich indeed.
·

11:02 am    August 31, 2007

Salem message
Thanks Adnane. Your advice helped a lot.

Adnane and Rasta, the Souk is in Tetuan, not far from the "Pigeon" Square, up the hill. It's called "El Barrio". It's actually a square with the building in the center. All around are houses and other associated markets (meat, vegetables, flee marked, common products from Casablanca...). It's one of my favourite places I visit each time I go to Tetuan. I'll be adding a new image of one of the associated submarkets where peasants from all around the city come everyday to sell fresh vegetables.

3abir Sabil, I can't turn my eyes from the “parallel” path you're taking. I find it very interesting. Keep going on. Your light spots help me discover many aspects related to the subject. I’ll continue the discussion later

·

10:56 am    August 31, 2007

hudhud message
very cool photos, I like them a lot.
in la petite kabylie the kabyle women traditionally wear "fouta" similar to those in the first photo, usually the same colors and style/patterns, red with yellow and black stripes or lines, and it's worn over the regular dress. simply called a fouta or izar. maybe tazart is the amazigh version of "izar".

for comparison's sake:
nice hat
peruvian kids
two women dressed traditionally in santiago, chile
check out the hat! peru
guatemala
zunil mayans of guatemala
ecuador
look at the patterns on these textiles

and for a bit of asian to add to the mix, just for fun :)check out the geometric patterns and colors on these traditional Thai head scarves

·

9:05 am    August 31, 2007
3abir sabil
If it could help;"Tazart" in amizigh(midle-atlas) also means "fig-tree".This kind of tree makes a lot of shadow ( or "sombra" in spanish as you said)!!
Comparaison between the native south america people(Aztèque,Maya) and amazigh is an amazing topic !!Some theories argued that pheniciens are the first settlers of America.The difficult question is: did pheniciens start their trip to America from Cadiz in spain or from tangis or luxos in Morocco??
·

8:17 am    August 31, 2007

Adnane Ben. message
Salem, btw, try changing the position of both photos to be in the center. Edit this note, remove the two raioo tags for the photos to start from scratch. When you want to insert them from the photo desktop area, click on the little middle square on top of the image thumbnail. That would center the photo. Rpeat for the other photo, that would center it just below the first photo.
·

8:12 am    August 31, 2007

Adnane Ben. message
Rasta - if my memory serves me well, I believe the photo with the arches is in a very old souk in Tangier. That's the second floor of the souk, a big square with interesting roofs in the middle, and several small traditional shops around. Most shops manufacture textile related things like blankets, djellabas, 3bayas using very old weaving machines and techniques. It's a sight to see! in fact, that's where I bought a very cool northern 3baya for the cold winters of Boston.
·

7:46 am    August 31, 2007

Rasta Gnawi message
I like the arches in that top pictures. Very nice photo. Is this Chawen?
·

7:30 am    August 31, 2007

Salem message
In Tangier (north), Dezzara is called "Tazar" as Balota (a Raioo Member) had said in the discussion about the note "the Wonderful World of Weaving". I had never heard the word "Tazar" before that discussion and later I found out that I actually knew the word "Dezzara" which is nothing different than "Tazar".
·

7:12 am    August 31, 2007

Salem message
Thank you for reminding me of the word "Taraza", a large hut more used and appreciated by L7assada during the dry season. I could have entitled my note "Taraza and Tazar". Doesn't it sound and look interesting?

But there is a reason why I put the title in Spanish. During the discussion about the note "the Wonderful World of Weaving we came across a comparison between cultures in northern Morocco and southern America. Interestingly, a differentiation was made between the concepts of "Latinos" and "Hispanics" with the idea that the group "Hispanics" could somehow include northern Moroccans because of this Iberian significant influence. The images I posted on purpose as illustrations meant to show how a "Tazar" looks like in one hand and how much people look alike in northern Morocco and southern America, at least at this level, in the other hand.

You may know that "Sombrero" is a Spanish word that derives from "Sombra" which means "shadow". Literally a "Sombrero" is a "M'dal” or “Medala" (parasol) that is called “Taraza” in Morocco, as you said.

It would be interesting to dig more and know whether there is a link between the words Tazar (Dezzara) and the amazigh word "Tazart". Any insight?

·

6:02 am    August 31, 2007
3abir sabil
As far as Iknow,the sombrero that you are talking about is called "taraza".The "dezzara" is the red and white-blue-striped piece of cloth that women from north of Morocco put arround their hips.However,"tazart" or "tamizart" is an amazigh cloth which covers all the woman body and it is made of wool or coton.
·

3:45 am    August 31, 2007

Salem message
Sorry, I failed in posting adequately the second image which actually does not appear fully. Is it possible to correct that? If so how?
·

Salem's notes (11)

Ennio Morricone reminds the Rbatis of the cinema golden age..
March 8, the International Working Woman's Day..
A matter of pride!..
Is luxury a thing of the past?..
Persception, gouts et priorités d'actions des gens!..

What a beautiful life story!..
Mawazine Festival 2008..

Multilingual = Multidimensional ..
Shining ability is a gift.....
El Sombrero y el Tazar..
Isn't Nina a Gnawya?..

FAVORITES

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!