Your email: Password [ reset ]
   -> create a personal or business account for free in seconds!

where moroccans click!

about · terms
PEOPLE
GROUPS
BUSINESSES
DISCUSSIONS
727 members
8 groups, 40 businesses
1140 discussions, 13544 comments

TRAVEL
hudhud
USA
Share on facebook
comments.
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana
10:03:49 PM Tuesday Dec 13, 2005

If you want to stay at a rather unique, flavorful, authentic place in the City of Angels, try Hotel Figueroa! This place is highly rated, and it's got an interesting fusion of Moroccan and Mexican flavors inside and out. Just from looking at the old building from the exterior it seems almost shabby and run-down, with its old fire escape that makes me think of Jacob Riis and tenements, its brick color sort of faded, its huge side walls painted in massive ads, and its entrance obscured and hidden from passers-by (unless you're walking you won't really notice the entrance). You would never guess that it has this whole Moroccan theme goin on inside and out. I myself only noticed the "blue door" very recently, and it piqued my curiosity, and that was before I knew what was inside..

I took some shots outside, then walked in, and poof!
It was like a genie effect, I was transported to another world far removed from smell-la. Strangely enough, there was hardly anyone around, and I wandered about undisturbed, looking at the tiles, the textiles, the furniture and decor. It felt cozy, comfy, and there was a nice faint scent of incense hovering about. I felt like I had crossed the foggy line between fantasy and reality, as though I'd been whisked away into another dimension, where ghosts were the inhabitants and I was the one from a different world..

It attacked me very suddenly, this overwhelming emotion akin to claustrophobia, so unexpected, and I spun on my heel to walk out. But Hotel Fig played one last trick on my eyes: the front double glass doors are tinted a mustard-yellow, so it was as if I was viewing the entire world outisde through a pair of retro shades or something. I pushed the handle, the bright light and cool fresh air cleared my head, the construction crews across the street waking me out of my reverie with all their rumble....
I gotta go back and get some good photos of the interiors. I like exploring places when hardly anyone's around, just take my time and look at random things, think tangentially, taste it all in a quiet state..

if you've stayed at hotel figueroa, pls share your experience with us!

The content of this page —graphics, text and other elements—is © Copyright 2007 prospective author, and Raioo, Inc., only when stated otherwise, and may not be reprinted or retransmitted in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Where Moroccans Click!
Create an account in seconds
to start new topics, leave comments, express yourself, make Moroccan friends and Morocco-loving friends, build long lasting connections, buy and sell, join groups and events, share photos, cook, message, and more.

5:41 pm    March 24, 2006

hudhud message
thanks hbiba sweet of you!
xoxo
·

6:18 am    March 24, 2006
baby^love
It is indeed a breathtaking Hotel! I can see the "Assala o lmo3assara" in every inch of this place.

Thanks hudhudi...

P.S: I enjoy your writing so very much! Keep them stories coming..

Bizooo

·

5:02 pm    March 21, 2006

hudhud message
thanks for the feedback mr. Lanza!
more pics
·

8:20 am    February 14, 2006
Mr. Lanza
The only place I stay In the City of Angels. Close to the garment district and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, this place is an oasis and has become my home away from...I have learned that a stay in one of the suites (Casablanca is the nicest I've found) is especially decandent in the best sense of the word. The cafe is adequate, the bars drinks strong and well mixed. I love this place.
·

8:19 am    February 14, 2006
Mr. Lanza
The only place I stay In the City of Angels. Close to the garment district and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, this place is an oasis and has become my home away from...I have learned that a stau in one of the suites (Casablanca is the nicest I've found) is especially decandent in the best sense of the word. The cafe is adequate, the bars drinks strong and well mixed. I love this place.
·

12:15 pm    December 29, 2005

hudhud message
_blank_ baraka allah ?
i'll remember to ask next time i'm down there..
·

12:14 pm    December 29, 2005

hudhud message
i tried to read it when i was down there, but i too had a hard time discerning the letters. i gave up and assumed that it may not be actual full words except the "allah" part, and they can probably get away with that since most passers-by and guests don't know arabic! who'd be the wiser?
my guess is that it's merely fanciful artwork inspired by either "la hawla wa la quwwa illaa billah" or "la hawla illaa bika ya allah" or perhaps even the andalusi "la ghaliba illa llah".. then again, just looking at the letters my eyes tell me that the closest thing is maybe "lawla bika ya allah" ??
·

12:08 pm    December 29, 2005

Rasta Gnawi message
Was anyone able to decipher the writing on that wall with the lady (2nd picture.) I could read the last word "allah" but nothing else.

·

9:59 am    December 29, 2005

hudhud message
so apparently i hear that hotel fig's food corner (seems its named ricks place or smthg like that! :) doesn't serve moroccan food, just simple sandwiches, burgers salads. dunno if it's any good.
maybe they'd be willing to special order moroccan food for parties or events held in their venues though..
·

9:46 am    December 14, 2005

hudhud message
yes, it's got a great feel to it inside. moroccan and mexican designs go hand-in-hand together, it just feels so right, natural, perfect. now i have to try their food. someone told me it's good. i wonder if they dish up moroccan food too, or does the theme stop there. only one way to find out ;)
·

11:25 pm    December 13, 2005

Adnane Ben. message
This hotel is an amazing spot! The kind of place I'd like to chill in if I'm in LA! I love the high ceilings, and the wooden tables.. but then again, I liked everything wooden in there! and Figueroa, makes me think of Figuig..
·

hudhud's notes (47)

A Year for Tlemcen..
generation news ..

where did the spaniard go?..
why khaled will always remain king..

from business English to business French....
Chicken Bastilla Alger Style..
el mektoub, el mektoub..
3D views of famous mosques and palaces..

Rest in Peace Miriam Makeba..
Walking to Guantanamo - book & photos by Richard Fleming..
From a Tourist's Eyes..
Waiting for Pasolini || En Attendant Pasolini..
La Maison Jaune || The Yellow House film by Amor Hakkar..
on the politics of blaming history.....
Samira's Garden directed by Latif Lahlou..
Dayton, Ohio mosque targeted in 'gas incident'..
eidkoum mebrouk..
Obsession with Hate..
"home is where the heart is.."..
ARRANGED..
Coming to a Sky Near You: Total Lunar Eclipse..
Reading the Koran - an Essay by Tariq Ramadan..

Amina Alaoui Lyrics..
Amina Alaoui..
Hrira Tastes Better with.....
Cool Site: GNAWA STORIES..
GOT GNAWA?..
The Ancient Texts of Timbouktou..
the Wonderful World of Weaving..
Take me to La Casbah....

Tagines..
Morocco In Between..
Name that Poet..
Indig?nes..
Cheikha Rimitti: 83 Years of Life.....
The Prayer of Taif..
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam..

FLAMENCO..
Hotel Figueroa - Mexican Morrocana..
Roman Ruins in North Africa..
Great Mosques..
Recipe: Quince Preserves..
Andalusi terminology..
Receipe: Almond Crescents..
Al-Andalus: Words Worth Gold..
Vintage travel posters..
Khoubz eddar..

FAVORITES
Nouria El Yacoubi From Figuig: Moroccan Champion of Karate Cannot See Her Opponent

about raioo ~ terms
All contents © copyright 1999-2017 for Adnane Benali and respective authors. Aside from properly referencing and linking content, No duplication, reproduction, or reprinting of raioo writings, artwork and/or related content allowed without written permission from the respective author or publisher (raioo.com).

where moroccans click!